Vogue’s September 2013 issue has arisen a critical
discussion concerning female portrayal in the media. Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer
stirred controversy when she decided to pose in a ‘racy’ manner on her cover
page, which later discusses her personal challenges while treading a male-dominated
executive domain. Some argue that Mayer’s portrayal of herself in a ‘upside
down’ manner contradicts with the rest of her article which emphasizes her rise
to power. Others assert that as an individual, Mayer has the right to
decide how to present herself; by not being allowed to do so, based on fear of criticism
and how others will perceive her, Mayer is being placed in a ‘box’ that
controls the degree to which she can express her femininity.
The knowledge issue at hand revolves around the extent to
which females, especially those who represent a minority in male dominated ‘world’,
are allowed to appropriately present themselves. It is not often that males are
faced with this issue. With this in mind, one can raise this knowledge issue as
a prime example as to how certain issues are divided along gender lines. Must it
be that if a woman represents power that she has to reduce her feminine
portrayal of herself and increase masculine aspects that would further
exemplify her power? Conversely, must a woman minimize feminine depictions of
herself to prove resilience and toughness?
As a whole, perception is the factor that will affect the
extent to which certain actions presented by certain genders will be deemed as ‘acceptable’
or ‘unacceptable’. To some, how Mayer chose to present herself isn’t the issue;
rather, it’s the individuals who decided to make this an issue. Instead of
focusing on Mayer’s physical presentation, readers should shift their attention
towards what the focus point in the article, Mayer’s successes as Yahoo’s youngest
female CEO. To others, Mayer’s pose is
symbolic of how females’ physical attributes must be a focal point when
attempting to depict more serious (intellectual) issues.
All in all, one can only ask, ‘What is the real meaning
behind Marissa Mayer’s pose?’
I agree with on the point that females do have to act and present themselves differently than males in the business world. And I dont think she is posing in a "racy" manner, I mean she is fully clothed and even wearing shoes. I think the problem is the people who stirred this whole controversy, I mean whats so wrong with the way she is posing? People want to create a division/controversy over nothing and should instead congratulate her on her success and achievements in this male-dominated business world.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tatyana on the fact that she should be celebrated as oppose to being ridiculed. However, being that the business world is male-dominated, I'm not surprised by the reaction. I feel as if a female is successful in a particular male-dominated work field, they will always be ridiculed do to the fact that some may feel threatened by their presence.
ReplyDeleteMatthew and Tatyana:
ReplyDeleteVery good feedback. I too respect the fact that Mayer does have the right to dictate/navigate her persona; however, this 'freedom' will be subject to be evaluated based on stereotypes.